background

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Cheyenne, WY - Part II

Our last full day in Cheyenne was spent at the rodeo, Merle Haggard concert, and carnival. We let ourselves sleep in late Sunday morning and got out to the rodeo grounds around lunch time…I mean, who can resist a corn dog and funnel cake? Not this girl!


{Lane Frost memorial}


We did a little shopping before the rodeo started. I bought one of my all-time favorite rodeo purchases. It’s two cushions that can be used at rodeo’s, sporting events, etc and they’re in this fancy ol’ bag. We made use of them that day at the rodeo and we were able to use them at another rodeo this past weekend!


We had old-timey pictures made of the four of us – which was SO much fun!


Then, we made it to our seats just as the rodeo was beginning! I’ve got to tell you, this was by far the best and most exciting rodeo I’ve ever been to. I don’t know if it was because of the large venue or just because of the history of this rodeo. But it was great!





My two favorite parts of the rodeo, which I’d never seen in another rodeo were the colt race and the wild horse race. For the colt race, they bring all the mama horses on one end of the track and all the baby horses on the other end and let the babies go…and those little babies HAUL it down the track to their mama’s. It was adorable.


Then, the wild horse race is, well….wild. Apparently, it’s been outlawed {i.e. illegal} in all other states but Wyoming {don’t hold me to that, but that’s just what I’ve heard!}. And I can see why! We saw one guy get a broken leg and countless others were pretty beat up! But the goal is to take a wild horse and get him saddled and one guy has to ride him all the way around the track and the first one wins. Sounds easy except these horses are CRAAAAZY!


After the rodeo we went back to our room and rested a bit and got ready for the evening activities. We had tickets to the Merle Haggard concert, which was truly amazing. Mr. Haggard is such a country music legend and he’s getting on up there in age, yet he still puts on an awesome show! I’m so glad I got to see him live!






Then, of course we had to ride a few rides…and my rodeo partners had to choose this one…


I was terrified {as evidenced by the video Cody and Lauren took while we were on the ride and all you can hear is me screaming bloody murder – I’m going to try and get my hands on that}. We rode one other ride that made us all a little dizzy after we got off and that was about as much fun with rides as we were gonna have.


After all, the next day was our white water rafting adventure…

3 comments:

  1. Looks like yall had so much fun!!!!!! I love seeing all your pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh you're puttin me to shame! I've got to play catch up on my bloggin bloggity blog!! Good times for sure! Looove it.

    ReplyDelete